For many Americans and Canadians, a regular battering from hail is simply a part of life. It’s the scourge of many homeowners, car owners, and insurance companies across the continent.
According to the NOAA’s Severe Storms database, there were well over 5,000 major hail storms across the U.S. in 2019.
All areas from Texas to Washington state and the Midwest, southern Canada in close proximity to the Rockies, across to Maine and down to Florida are affected annually by large hail storms.
Total annual hail-related insured losses in the U.S. average between $8 billion and $14 billion over the past 20 years, according to insurer Aon.
Hail can do tremendous damage to your property unless you’ve taken adequate measures to protect it – starting with a hail resistant roof.
By selecting a Euroshield® roof, you are choosing the peace of mind that comes from knowing that nature can throw its most destructive forces at you and your home will still be fine.Find An Installer
What is a hail resistant roof?
A hail resistant roof is generally considered to be able to withstand hailstones two inches in diameter or less without suffering damage. Two-inch hail is roughly the size of a standard egg.
All Euroshield® roofs are warrantied for this size of the hailstone.
However, we have gone a step further and created hail proof roofing solutions that are proven to withstand impact from hailstones up to four inches in diameter (that’s roughly the size of a softball). All of our products are warrantied for 50 years against hail of two-inches or less in diameter.
Euroshield® rubber roofing products are made of approximately 95% recycled material. These eco-friendly roofs can withstand extreme heat, wind, rain, snow, and yes, even hail. Our extremely strong, eye-catching and environmentally-friendly green roofing systems were born from years of intensive research.
- Vermont Slate HP: This is our stunning new hail-proof, slate-look offering. It features a “photo-realistic” slate-textured surface and is sold at a price point between asphalt shingles and premium roofing products such as metal roofing, synthetics, cedar and slate. However, unlike these other roofing materials, Vermont Slate HP is factory warrantied against hail impact damage of any size for the first 20 years. After that, it reverts to the standard warranty for hail of two-inch diameter or less for 30 years. This is the only product available that offers a warranty against any size hail.
- Vermont Slate: This is our most realistic slate look, without the weight or expense associated with real slate. It is covered by a two-inch diameter (or less) hail damage warranty for 50 years.
- Ranchlands Shake: Available in hand-split look, this provides the classic wood appearance without worrying about mold, excess moisture absorption, curling, warping or cracking.
- Beaumont Shake: Lighter weight than Ranchlands Shake, this still supplies considerable strength and durability. It is sold at a price point between asphalt shingles and premium roofing products such as metal roofing, synthetics, cedar and slate.
- Rundle Slate: This replicates extra-thick, chiselled-edge slate, adding a touch of class to your roof. Weighing close to a laminated asphalt shingle roof, Rundle Slate® is free of the structural concerns of traditional slate roofing. Like all Euroshield® roofing products, this long-lasting rubber roof cannot be damaged by walking on it.
What type of roof is best for hail?
Rubber roofing is the material of choice for protecting your home from hail damage.
- Euroshield® roofing panels achieve the highest official hail-proof rating in the industry (UL2218 Class 4 for Impact).
- All products are tested at independent laboratories recognized by the Canadian Construction Materials Council (CCMC), the ICC (USA), and listed by QAI.
- All products qualify for the maximum insurance discount available for hail impact from insurers offering such discounts.
- To further back it all up, we have pushed our product beyond the industry-standard testing with no concerns and that is why we offer a generous Limited Lifetime Warranty on all of our roofing products.
With the significant hail-related losses that homeowners suffer, knowing that your Euroshield® roof materials are fully covered should provide peace of mind.
In 20 years of operations, Euroshield® has never had to replace one of its panels due to hail damage. It is extremely unlikely that it will ever happen but our warranty on all roofing materials is there to get your back in case it ever does.
Watch our Extreme Impact video to check just how tough a Euroshield® rubber roof is.
You will see how our Vermont Slate HP (Hail Proof) panels withstood an assault from an air cannon firing a simulated hail impact of four inches in diameter at 183mph without so much as a scratch.
Do I need a hail proof roof?
North America experiences its fair share of hail events but they can occur anywhere in the world – especially in areas near mountainous terrain.
You might be surprised that the top places in the world for hail events are:
- United States (The Great Plains)
- Southern China
No matter where you are, it only takes one storm to damage your roof.
In North America, hail occurs most frequently in what is sometimes referred to as “Hail Alley”, which includes the following areas:
- Texas – especially the Dallas, Ft. Worth, San Antonio, and Austin areas
- Oklahoma (especially the Oklahoma City and Tulsa areas)
- Kansas, Nebraska, Missouri, South Dakota, Indiana
- Wyoming and Colorado
- North Carolina and Virginia
- Illinois and Minnesota
- Southern Ontario
If you live in these areas, a hail proof roof is essential.
How do I know if my roof is impact resistant?
In the Class 4 UL2218 test (which is explained below), our impact resistant shingles remained intact, even when struck by a 2-inch steel ball dropped from a height of 20 feet.
However, at Euroshield® we wanted to go beyond merely “acceptable” criteria for UL2218 Class 4. We wanted true impact resistance beyond that of a steel ball dropped from 20 feet.
After all, hail comes in all sorts of shapes, sizes and speeds, so we wanted to guarantee that your roof would be protected from literally any type of hailstorm.
That’s why we developed our Vermont Slate HP roofs to be the most impact-resistant shingles on the market by far, warrantied for any hailstone size for the first 20 years.
For other roof types, including shingle tiles, you will not be able to determine their impact-resistance by simply looking at them. Check the warranty and, if you are still not sure, contact the manufacturer.
Be aware that “impact resistance” doesn’t automatically mean that your roof is warrantied against hail so you may want to check with the manufacturer if your roof has an actual hail warranty.
We have a verified Euroshield installer in all cities across North America. Our process is simple:
- SEARCH for a contractor near you by using our Find an Installer tool
- CONTACT your preferred installer directly and receive a project quote
- INSTALLATION of your roof as agreed with your contractor
- WARRANTY – submit your transferable limited lifetime warranty and never worry about your roof again!
In the Calgary area?
Stop by our showroom and see our roofing products first-hand.
Or feel free to contact us Monday through Friday 8 am – 5 pm at (403) 215-3333 for further assistance.
Why choose Euroshield®?
- Made from 95% recycled material (rubber tires)
- Extremely durable
- Virtually maintenance-free
- Resistant to hail
- Potentially lower insurance premiums
- Generous transferable warranties (non-pro rated)
- Sound deadening & insulating
- The affordable permanent roofing solution
- Adds value to your home
- Aesthetically pleasing
Our warranty program
Rubber tires are made to be highly durable and withstand extreme weather conditions.
This is why we back Euroshield® roofing products to stand the test of time.
All Euroshield roofing products carry a generous hail warranty that provides you with the peace of mind that your roof will withstand whatever the conditions throw at it.
You can also register for your limited lifetime warranty with our warranty forms here.
Protect your home from an unexpected hail storm
The BIG problem with hail storms is that they are unpredictable and potentially devastating.
Besides, if you don’t have the right protection for your home, there is very little you can do. Unlike the car, you cannot move your roof inside.
All Euroshield® roofs offer serious protection from serious weather as well as being eco-friendly.
This means that you can do your bit for the planet as well as protecting your home from the worst forces that the planet throws back at you!Contact Us